Here's a good video which provides some advice on avoiding online scams.
* Be suspicious of unsolicited email offering assistance.
* Be wary of sites that are set up to mimic official government sites.
* Be wary of sites that promise free consultation or money back guarantee.
* Check for complaints against a soliciting biz with your state consumer affairs, attorney general's office and Better Business Bureau.
* Be leary of sites that contain only a page where you fill out personal information and submit it for a referral.